|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
THE DEAD AND THE OTHERS
CHUVA É CANTORIA NA ALDEIA DOS MORTOS
- Director: João Salaviza, Renée Nader Messora
- BRAZIL, PORTUGAL / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 114’ / Krahô, Portuguese; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: João Salaviza, Renée Nader Messora
- Director of Photography: Renée Nader Messora
- Editing: João Salaviza, Renée Nader Messora, Edgar Feldman
- Cast: Henrique Ihjãc Krahô, Raene Kôtô Krahô
- Producer: Ricardo Alves Jr., Thiago Macêdo Correia, João Salaviza, Renée Nader Messora
- Production Co.: Entrefilmes, Karõ Filmes, Material Bruto
- World Sales: Luxbox
- 2018 CANNES -- Special Jury Prize-Un Certain Regard
- 2018 RIO -- Best Direction, Best Cinematography
- 2018 LIMA -- Best Film, Best Cinematography
- 2018 MAR DEL PLATA -- Special Jury Prize
According to tradition, 15 year-old Ihjãc is soon to become the new shaman following his father’s death. To escape his fate he leaves his village, however, the white man’s town proves to be far from the haven he thought it would be. Portuguese-Brazilian director duo Salaviza and Messora, who worked with amateur actors chosen amongst tribe members portrays the contrast between modernity and tradition through a 16mm cinematography reminiscent of Gaugin paintings. Living in Northern Brazil, the daily life, rituals, and native minority hardships of Ihjãc’s tribe, Krahô, comes to the screen with a highly poetic atmosphere that pushes the boundaries of surrealism in The Dead and the Others.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.