|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
CRIES AND WHISPERS
VISKNINGAR OCH ROP
- Director: Ingmar Bergman
- SWEDEN / 1973 / DCP / Colour / 91´ / Swedish; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Ingmar Bergman
- Director of Photography: Sven Nykvist
- Cast: Harriet Andersson, Kari Sylwan, Ingrid Thulin, Liv Ullmann, Anders Ek, Erland Josephson
- Production Co.: Cinematograph AB, Stiftelsen Svenska Filmindustri
- World Sales: Swedish Film Instutute
- 1974 OSCAR Best Cinematography
- 1972 CANNES Technical Grand Prize
A period drama, Cries and Whispers is about two sisters’ visit to their dying sister in the 19th century. Drenched in gothic atmosphere thanks to prominent use of the color red, the film takes an in-depth look at family ties and miscommunication through the relationship between the sisters and their maids. One of Bergman’s bleakest films, Cries and Whispers examines the themes familiar in the director’s oeuvre with a brand new visual aesthetic that is close to the horror genre.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.