|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Arshad Khan
- CANADA, JAPAN, PAKISTAN, SAUDI ARABIA, THAILAND / 2017 / DCP / Colour / 80´ / English, Urdu; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Arshad Khan
- Editing: Etienne Gagnon
- Music: Michael Robert Snow
- Producer: Arshad Khan
- Production Co.: Gray Matter Productions, Loaded Pictures
- World Sales: Loaded Pictures
- 2017 FLORENCE RIVER TO RIVER INDIAN FILM FESTIVAL Audience Award
- 2017 MONTREAL LGBTQI FILM FESTIVAL Audience Award
- 2017 TWIST SEATTLE Jury Prize
- 2017 VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL SOUTH ASIAN FILM Best Feature
- 2017 AGLIFF AUSTIN LGBTQI FILM FESTIVAL Jury Prize
Abu is a letter written to one’s self, a self-discovery, a lifelong journey... Arshad Khan, who emigrates to Canada with his family from Pakistan, realises that he is gay. Arshad narrates his internal journey intertwined with his family’s as he utilises clips from Bollywood movies, home videos, and animated pieces while telling a personal story peppered with humor. Starting from a very subjective point, Abu reaches universality as it tackles such notions as sexuality, immigration, family, fate, tradition, religion, and modernity.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.