|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
MARLINA THE MURDERER IN FOUR ACTS
MARLINA SI PEMBUNUH DALAM EMPAT BABAK
- Director: Mouly Surya
- INDONESIA, FRANCE, MALAYSIA, THAILAND / 2017 / DCP / Colour / 93´ / Indonesian; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Mouly Surya, Rama Adi
- Original Work: Garin Nugroho
- Director of Photography: Yunus Pasolang
- Editing: Kelvin Nugroho
- Music: Zeke Khaseli, Yudhi Arfani
- Cast: Marsha Timothy, Dea Panendra, Yoga Pratama, Egi Fedly, Rita Matu Mona, Anggun Priambodo, Ayez Kassar
- Producer: Rama Adi, Fauzan Zidni
- Production Co.: Cinesurya, Kaninga Pictures, Shasha & Co Production, Astro Shaw, Hooq, Purin Pictures
- World Sales: Asian Shadows
- 2017 TOKYO FILMEX Grand Prize
- 2017 NETPAC ASIAN FILM FESTIVAL Special Mention
- 2017 SITGES En İyi Best Actress
Inspired by Japanese samurai films and American Westerns, Marlina the Murderer is a feminist Western notable for its striking visuals, musical score, and tough attitude. Taking place in the desolate desert dunes of Indonesia’s Sumba Island, the film tells the story of a widow named Marlina, who, after being attacked by a band of thieves, takes on a journey to avenge herself, and needs to fight both the thieves and their ghosts. The third feature film by Mouly Surya, one of the most accomplished names among Indonesia’s new generation of filmmakers, premiered at the Directors’ Fortnight section of Cannes.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.