|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A
- Director: Steve Loveridge
- USA, UK, SRI LANKA / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 97´ / English, Tamil; Turkish, English s.t.
- Director of Photography: Graham Boonzaaier, Catherine Goldschmidt, Matt Wainwright
- Editing: Marina Katz, Gabriel Rhodes
- Music: Dhani Harrison, Paul Hicks
- Cast: Katılan With: Maya Arulpragasam
- Producer: Lori Cheatle, Andrew Goldman, Paul Mezey
- Production Co.: Cinereach, Hard Working Movies
- World Sales: Dogwoof
Indisputably one of the most disputed pop stars in the world Matangi or Maya, known by her stage name M.I.A is the daughter of the founder of the Sri Lankan separatists Tamil Tigers, a famed hip-hop artist, and a woman who carries the banner of her politics in her art. This documentary, which premiered at the Berlinale, paints a musical and political portrait of M.I.A, who first moved to India with her family at the age of nine and then to London and became a world famous singer inspired by hip-hop and street culture despite wanting first to be a documentarian, through video recordings made mostly by herself in the span of 22 years.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.