|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Ana Urushadze
- GEORGIA, ESTONIA / 2017 / DCP / Colour / 107´ / Georgian; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Ana Urushadze
- Director of Photography: Konstantin Mindia Esadze
- Editing: Alexander Kuranov
- Music: Nika Pasuri
- Cast: Nata Murvanidze, Ramaz Ioseliani, Dimitri Tatishvili, Avtandil Makharadze
- Producer: Lasha Khalvashi, Tinatin Kajrishvili, Ivo Felt
- Production Co.: Studio Artizm, Gemini
- World Sales: Artizm & Alief LLC
- 2017 SARAJEVO En İyi Film, Cineuropa Ödülü Best Film, Cineuropa Prize
- 2017 LOCARNO Young Jury Award, First Feature Award
- 2017 ASIA PACIFIC SCREEN AWARDS Best Actress
- 2017 GİJON Best Cinematography
Georgia’s Oscar submission for the foreign language film category, Scary Mother follows a 50-year-old housewife named Manana who decides to follow her passion against all odds. A devoted family woman, Manana has always wanted to write a novel but repressed her aspiration. She finally arrives at a place where she is ready to sacrifice everything both mentally and physically in order to write. Georgian director Ana Urushadze describes her first feature length, which appeared on the roster of many international festivals due to its absurdist humor, as being “about restrictions–some of those moral codes that we are educated to, leading to some kinds of stereotypes because of which an individual is oppressed.”
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.