|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
Human Rights In Cinema Competition
- Director: Wolfgang Fische
- GERMANY, AUSTRIA / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 94´ / German; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Wolfgang Fischer, Ika Künzel
- Director of Photography: Benedict Neuenfels
- Editing: Monika Willi
- Cast: Susanne Wolff, Gedion Wekesa, Alexander Beyer, Inga Birkenfeld
- Producer: Marcos Kantis, Martin Lehwald, Michal Pokorny
- Production Co.: Schiwago Film GmbH
- World Sales: Beta Cinema
- 2018 Berlin Heiner Carow Prize, Label Europa Cinema, Prize of the Ecumenical Jury
A storm in the middle of the ocean, a boat full of refugees that is about to sink and a woman all by herself... Premiered in the Panorama section of Berlinale, Styx tells the story of how a 40-something European doctor’s dream vacation collides with the refugee crisis. Rike embarks on a solo voyage on her boat from Gibraltar to Ascunsion Island. On her way, she encounters an overloaded boat in trouble. Styx observes how the humanism and hopefulness of steady, peaceful, and worriless Europeans helplessly disappear in the ocean waters and calmly tackles one of the most challenging social issues of our times through sparse dialogue and a twisty script.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.