|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
UNDER THE TREE
- Director: Hafsteinn Gunnar Sigurdsson
- ICELAND, POLAND, DENMARK, GERMANY / 2017 / DCP / Colour / 89´ / Icelandic; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Hafsteinn Gunnar Sigurdsson, Huldar Breidfjörd
- Director of Photography: Monika Lenczewska
- Editing: Kristján Lodmfjörd
- Music: Daníel Bjarnason
- Cast: Steinthór Hróar Steinthórsson, Edda Björgvinsdóttir, Sigurdur Sigurjónsson, Lára Jóhanna Jónsdóttir, Thorsteinn Bachmann, Selma Björnsdóttir
- Producer: Grímar Jónsson, Sindri Páll Kjartansson, Thor Sigurjonsson
- Production Co.: Netop Films, Madants Sp. z o.o., Profile Pictures
- World Sales: New Europe Film Sales
- 2017 AUSTIN FANTASTIC Best Director–Comedy
- 2017 DENVER Best Film
- 2017 HAMPTONS Best Narrative Feature
Fans of Nordic humor will truly enjoy this black comedy about hostile neighbors in a frosted Icelandic town. At the center of Under the Tree, which premiered at the Horizons section of Venice Film Festival, is a tree, as its name suggests. This towering tree, which stands in the garden of Inga and Baldvin, casts its shadow in Konrad and Eybjorg’s garden. It starts a petty argument which morphs first into absurdity and then into tragedy. Inspired by the quarrels that arise in Iceland due to insufficient sunlight and scarce amount of trees, Sigurdsson says that he set out to make a “war film where home is the battlefield”.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.