|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Annemarie Jacir
- PALESTINE, FRANCE, GERMANY, COLOMBIA, NORWAY, QATAR, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES / 2017 / DCP / Colour / 96´ / Arabic; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Annemarie Jacir
- Director of Photography: Antoine Heberle
- Editing: Jacques Comets
- Cast: Mohammad Bakri, Saleh Bakri
- Producer: Ossama Bawardi
- Production Co.: Philistine Films
- World Sales: Pyramide Films International
- 2017 LOCARNO FICC/IFFS Prize, Youth Jury Environment Prize, ISPEC Cinema Award
- 2017 KERALA Best Film
- 2017 DUBAİ Best Fiction Feature, Best Actors
- 2017 MAR DEL PLATA Best Feature, Best Actor (M. Bakri), Film Critics Association Award, SIGNIS Award
- 2017 MEDFILM (ROME) Special Jury Award
In her new film Wajib, Palestinian director Annemarie Jacir takes an affectionate look at the Christian Arab community in Nazareth. Accompanied by his son Shadi, 60-something grouchy Abu is driving around the streets of Nazareth delivering invitations for his daughter’s wedding. At each stop they encounter zestful characters from this ancient community, at times sweetly joking with them and other times getting into heated spats. Saleh Bakri, who appeared in Jacir’s previous films, shares the screen with his real-life father this time playing a father and son. With its nuanced characters and earthy humour this is a sweet little film that will warm your heart.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.