|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
BY THE GRACE OF GOD
GRÂCE À DIEU
- Director: François Ozon
- FRANCE / 2019 / DCP / Colour / 137’ / French; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: François Ozon
- Director of Photography: Manuel Dacosse
- Editing: Laure Gardette
- Music: Evgueni Galperine, Sacha Galperine
- Cast: Melvil Poupaud, Denis Ménochet, Swann Arlaud, Éric Caravaca, François Marthouret, Bernard Verley, Martine Erhel, Josiane Balasko, Hélène Vincent
- Producer: Eric Altmayer, Nicolas Altmayer
- Production Co.: Mandarin Production
- World Sales: Playtime
- Turkish Rights: Bir Film
- 2019 BERLIN -- Grand Jury Prize
Unveiled in competition at the Berlinale in February, François Ozon’s latest film is a tender and strong drama about paedophilia within the Catholic clergy told through the victims’ perspective. By the Grace of God paints the portrait of 3 men today, Alexandre, François, and Gilles—three men, whose personal stories are unearthed when they discover that the priest who had abused them was still working with children and that the Church had not condemned him. They decide to take action to “lift the burden of silence” surrounding their ordeal. A sensitive and methodical exploration of trauma and courage, and praised as one of Ozon’s best works, the film is based on a real case.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.