|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Gabriel Mascaro
- BRAZIL, URUGUAY, NORWAY, DENMARK, ISVIÇRE / 2019 / DCP / Colour / 100’ / Portuguese; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Gabriel Mascaro, Rachel Daisy Ellis, Esdras Bezerra, Lucas Paraízo
- Director of Photography: Diego García
- Editing: Fernando Epstein, Lívia Serpa
- Music: Juan Campodónico, Santiago Marrero, Otavio Santos
- Cast: Dira Paes, Julio Machado, Mariana Nunes, Emílio de Mello, Teca Pereira, Thalita Carauta
- Producer: Rachel Ellis, Anthony Muir, Sandino Saravia Vinay
- Production Co.: Desvia, Snowglobe, Mer Film, Bord Cadre, Film i Väst
- World Sales: Memento Films
In his third feature, young Brazilian talent Gabriel Mascaro, known for his debut Neon Bull, tells a unique dystopian story drenched in bright colors and pop music. In the year 2027 the Evangelical Church controls every aspect of Brazil’s social and political life in which love rules over everything else. Deeply religious, 40-something Joana, who works at the registry office, tries to convince couples who are seeking divorce to change their minds. Will she question her faith when her own marriage is in crisis? Divine Love, which had its international premiere at this year’s Sundance Film Festival, portrays an unusual dystopia around the themes of faith, sexuality, family, music, and the state.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.