|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Barbara Miller
- SWITZERLAND, GERMANY / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 97’ / English, French, German, Japanese; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Barbara Miller
- Director of Photography: Anne Misselwitz, Gabriela Betschart, Akiba Jiro
- Editing: Isabel Meier
- Music: Peter Scherer
- With: Deborah Feldman, Vithika Yadav, Rokudenashiko, Leyla Hussein, Doris Wagner
- Producer: Philip Delaquis
- Production Co.: Mons Veneris Films
- World Sales: CAT&Docs
- 2019 ISTANBUL -- Human Rights in Cinema --Special Mention
- 2018 DOK LEIPZIG -- Jury Special Prize
Swiss director Barbara Miller’s documentary which examines female sexuality in the 21st century was premiered at the Locarno Film Festival. #FEMALE PLEASURE portrays five courageous women, shattering the taboo and breaking the silence imposed by their patriarchal societies. Deborah, Leyla, Rokudenashiko, Doris, and Vithika are fighting for sexual liberation and autonomy for women, in Japan, India, the Somali diaspora, the Hasidic community in Brooklyn, and the Catholic clergy in Europe. But they all have experienced public defamation, threats and excommunications. #FEMALE PLEASURE shows the universal mechanisms at work that determine the position of women spanning cultures, borders, and continents without any regard for women.
This film contains scenes of sexuality/violence that might disturb some viewers.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.