|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
No More Flowers
GOD EXISTS, HER NAME IS PETRUNYA
GOSPOD POSTOI, IMETO I’ E PETRUNIJA
- Director: Teona Strugar Mitevska
- NORTH MACEDONIA, BELGIUM, SLOVENIA, FRANCE, CROATIA / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 100’ / Macedonian; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Elma Tataragic, Teona Strugar Mitevska
- Director of Photography: Virginie Saint Martin
- Editing: Marie-Hélène Dozo
- Music: Olivier Samouillan
- Cast: Zorica Nusheva, Labina Mitevska, Simeon Moni Damevski, Suad Begovski, Stefan Vujisic, Violeta Shapkovska
- Producer: Labina Mitevska
- Production Co.: Sisters and Brother Mitevski, Entre Chien et Loup, Vertigo, Spiritus Movens Prod., Deuxième Ligne Films, Ez Films
- World Sales: Pyramide Films
- Turkish Rights: Bir Film
- 2019 BERLIN -- Ecumenical Jury Prize, Guild Film Prize
Petrunya dives into the water and retrieves the cross on Epiphany. Good fortune and prosperity are guaranteed to the man who retrieves it. Her competitors are furious - how dare a woman take part in their ritual? All hell breaks loose in Stip, a small town in Macedonia, but as a woman who isn’t taken seriously even in job interviews, Petrunya holds her ground. She won her cross and will not give it up. An angry yet melancholic satire that observes the reflections of change in Macedonian society on the church, the judiciary, and the media, this film emphasises how crucial it is for women to hold their stances and stand tall against archaic customs.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.