|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
Factory Of Masterpieces: Kubrick
- Director: Stanley Kubrick
- USA / 1955 / DCP / B&W / 67’ / English; Turkish s.t.
- Screenplay: Howard Sackler
- Director of Photography: Stanley Kubrick
- Editing: Stanley Kubrick
- Music: Gerald Fried
- Cast: Jamie Smith, Irene Kane, Frank Silvera, Jerry Jarret, Mike Dana
- Producer: Stanley Kubrick, Morris Bousel
- Production Co.: MGM
- World Sales: Park Circus
- 1959 LOCARNO -- Best Director
On one hand this film noir features many tropes of the genre: the woman at the window across the street, the shady boss who hassles her, the hero who gets into trouble while trying to help, and boxing matches... On the other hand, just like other accomplished examples of the genre, it works as a stylish urban observation and commentary with its Kubrickian visual touches and its absorbingly dark, tense atmosphere. Operating the camera himself, Kubrick takes us on a cinematic journey that is ingrained in our minds one image at a time with his wide angle shots that takes us right inside the boxing ring and especially with his exterior city shots filmed from inside a car. The screenplay is once again written by Kubrick’s high school friend Howard Sackler.
Images courtesy of Park Circus/MGM Studios
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.