|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Mehmet Akif Büyükatalay
- GERMANY / 2019 / DCP / Colour / 100’ / German, Turkish,; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Mehmet Akif Büyükatalay
- Director of Photography: Christian Kochmann
- Editing: Denys Darahan
- Cast: Zejhun Demirov, Deniz Orta, Cem Göktaş, Faris Yüzbaşıoğlu, Mikael Bajrami, Fırat Barış Ar, Kais Setti, Ferhat Keskin, Şahin Eryılmaz, Ramon Machtolf
- Producer: Bastian Klügel, Claus Reichel
- Production Co.: filmfaust filmproduktion
- World Sales: Pluto Film
- 2019 BERLIN -- Best First Feature
Involved in crime in his youth and just out of prison, Oray tries to abstain from old habits in the new life he leads “outside.” He holds onto Islam to manage his anger and become a better man. His faith and love for his wife Burcu are the most important things in his life. But during a quarrel, he fails to control his anger and repudiates his wife uttering the word “talaq” three times, as per Islamic law. The Imam he confers with informs him that he has to stay away from his wife for a while. This mandatory separation leads Oray to question his faith and his life. Among the best finds of the year, Oray which is to make its international premiere at the Istanbul Film Festival, director Mehmet Akif Büyükatalay quite realistically conveys the struggles of a young man with social compliance problems, to hold onto life
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.