|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
PIAZZOLLA: THE YEARS OF THE SHARK
PIAZZOLLA, LOS AÑOS DEL TIBURÓN
- Director: Daniel Rosenfeld
- ARGENTINA, FRANCE / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 94’ / Spanish, French, English; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Daniel Rosenfeld
- Director of Photography: Ramiro Civita
- Editing: Alejandro Carrillo Penovi
- Music: Astor Piazzolla
- Producer: Françoise Gazio
- Production Co.: Idéale Audience, Daniel Rosenfeld Films, ARTE, INA
- World Sales: EuroArts Music International GmbH
The Argentine bandoneon player and composer Astor Piazzolla revolutionized the tango. His tango nuevo, with its jazz and classical influences, made him a controversial figure in his own country, although a sensation all around the globe, as his revolution clashed with tradition. For this documentary, Piazzolla’s son Daniel drew on his private collection. Unique footage of numerous performances and intimate family films combine with archive material to paint a vivid portrait of Piazzolla: self-assured, obstinate, passionate and a true virtuoso. Daniel’s commentary reveals a complicated relationship with his father; The tapes of hours of conversations between Piazzolla and his daughter Diana provide a rare insight into the mind of a musical genius.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.