|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Nanni Moretti
- ITALY, FRANCE / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 80’ / Italian, Spanish; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Nanni Moretti
- Director of Photography: Maura Morales Bergmann
- Editing: Clelio Benevento
- Producer: Nanni Moretti, Jean Labadie, Gabriela Sandoval, Carlos Nuñez
- Production Co.: Sacher Film, Le Pacte, Storyboard Media
- World Sales: Le Pacte
Nanni Moretti, who received the Honorary Cinema Award from the Festival in 2003, goes deep into history and turns his camera to a very special period when the histories of Italy and Chile intersect. Santiago, Italia depicts how the Italian embassy in Santiago became a haven for Chilean dissenters during the coup d’état against Salvador Allende in 1973. After Pinochet takes over, most of the dissenters immigrated to Italy as political refugees. Through interviews with embassy staff, immigrant dissenters, jailed putschists, re-enactments and archival footage Moretti shines a light on the lives that were changed by the coup.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.