|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Nadav Lapid
- FRANCE, ISRAEL, GERMANY / 2019 / DCP / Colour / 123’ / French, Hebrew; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Nadav Lapid, Haïm Lapid
- Director of Photography: Shaï Goldman
- Editing: Era Lapid, François Gédigier, Neta Braun
- Cast: Tom Mercier, Quentin Dolmaire, Louise Chevillotte
- Producer: Saïd Ben Saïd, Michel Merkt
- Production Co.: SBS Films
- World Sales: SBS Films
- Turkish Rights: Bir Film
- 2019 BERLIN -- Golden Bear
Based on director Nadav Lapid’s own experiences, Synonyms is about a man who has moved to Paris from Israel and his struggle to reinvent himself as French, trying to wipe out his origins. The film follows Yoav as he moves to France from Israel, a country he despises. He wants to become French, be buried at the Père Lachaise, but his identity lies within his body and his binary identity never leaves him. Lapid dedicated the Golden Bear he just won to his late mother, the editor Ara Lapid who also worked on Synonyms and who he described as his “most intimate artistic partner”. Nadav Lapid was the director of the original The Kindergarten Teacher, the remake of which was screened at Filmekimi.
This film contains scenes of sexuality/violence that might disturb some viewers.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.