|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Andrew Tohill & Ryan Tohill
- UK / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 97’ / English; Turkish s.t.
- Screenplay: Stuart Drennan
- Director of Photography: Angus Mitchell
- Editing: Helen Sheridan
- Music: James Everett
- Cast: Moe Dunford, Emily Taaffe, Francis Magee, Lorcan Cranitch
- Producer: Brian J. Falconer
- Production Co.: Out of Orbit
- World Sales: XYZ Films
- 2018 GALWAY -- Best Irish Film
Northern Irish brothers Andrew Tohill and Ryan Tohill’s debut film is a combination of genres—a film of redemption, family drama transforming into the vein of a detective mystery film. The title refers to Sean’s futile search for the remains of his daughter, digging in a vast field for years. Callahan (played by the brilliant Moe Dunford) has served 15 years for the daughter’s murder, and when he returns to the village, he joins the grieving father, digging, because he has no recollection whatsoever of the murder or that fateful night, and he is too scarred to do anything else. Never losing its mystery and rhythm, The Dig paints a dark and gripping portrait of a broken family wounded by closure and redemption, consumed by griefs and lying memories, but mostly by obsession. The lead Moe Dunford is also a member of the International Competition jury this year.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.