|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Etienne Kallos
- SOUTH AFRICA, FRANCE, GREECE, POLAND / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 104’ / Afrikaans, Zoulou; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Etienne Kallos
- Director of Photography: Michal Englerts
- Editing: Muriel Breton
- Music: Evgueni, Sacha Galperine
- Cast: Brent Vermeulen, Juliana Venter, Alex van Dyk, Morne Visser
- Producer: Sophie Erbs, Tom Dercourt, Thembisa Cochrane, Michael Auret, Giorgos Karnavas, Konstantinos Kontovrakis, Mariusz Wlodarski, Dan Wechsler
- Production Co.: Cinéma Defacto, Spier Films, Heretic, Lava Films, Bord Cadre Films
- World Sales: Pyramide Films
- 2018 ROME -- MyMovies Best First Film
Time, traditions and the notion of masculinity is in a state of never-changing stagnancy in this farm in Free State located right in the heart of South Africa where the country’s white Afrikaner minority is the majority. For the 15 year-old introvert Janno, the only concern is to live up to his bigoted family’s expectations. When his family takes in a homeless orphan named Pieter, dynamics of his life change beyond his expectations. Premiered at the Un Certain Regard section at Cannes, Greek-South African director Etienne Kallos’ debut feature is an austere and moving coming of age story inspired by Abel and Cain that references the painful history of the country.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.