|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Stanley Kubrick
- USA / 1956 / DCP / B&W / 85’ / English; Turkish s.t.
- Screenplay: Stanley Kubrick, Jim Thompson
- Original Work: “Clean Break”, Lionel White
- Director of Photography: Lucien Ballard
- Editing: Betty Steinberg
- Music: Gerald Fried
- Cast: Sterling Hayden, Coleen Gray, Vince Edwards, Jay C. Flippen
- Producer: James B. Harris
- Production Co.: MGM
- World Sales: Park Circus
Taken as a starting point when talking about Kubrick’s classics, The Killing is the director’s second attempt at film noir. But this time he is working with a “Hollywood budget”. Co-adapted with noted crime writer Jim Thompson from Lionel White’s book Clean Break, the film is about the attempt of a recently released convict who gathers a team for “one last job”. Kubrick not only masterfully builds the black & white visual world of the genre that is ripe with dread and impending doom (courtesy of cinematographer Lucien Ballard), but also creates a very effective plot structure by jumping back and forward through time. The cast lead by Sterling Hayden features many familiar faces.
Images courtesy of Park Circus/MGM Studios
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.