|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
THE NIGHT PORTER
IL PORTIERE DI NOTTE
- Director: Liliana Cavani
- ITALY / 1974 / DCP / Colour / 120’ / English; Turkish s.t.
- Screenplay: Liliana Cavani, Italo Moscati
- Director of Photography: Alfio Contini
- Editing: Franco Arcalli
- Music: Danièle Paris
- Cast: Dirk Bogarde, Charlotte Rampling, Philippe Leroy, Gabriele Ferzetti, Nora Ricci, Isa Miranda, Giuseppe Addobbati, Amedeo Amodio, Marino Masé
- Producer: Robert Gordon Edwards per Lotar, Jean-Marie Simon, Nedo Azzini
- Production Co.: Lotar Film
- World Sales: Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia
- Print Source: CSC-Cineteca Nazionale
Liliana Cavani’s most interesting film, which brought her international fame, has been much discussed and criticized for its daring subject matter, twistful plot, and mysteriously dark and tense atmosphere. The relationship between holocaust survivor Lucia and her former torturer the ex-Nazi officer Max forms the backbone of the film’s narrative. The exceedingly unconventional romance between Lucia and Marx turns into a relationship which blurs the lines between the good and bad, torturer and prisoner, culprit and victim. Poetic, atmospheric, full of shifting symbols and roles, The Night Porter is strengthened by unforgettable performances from Dick Bogarde and a very young Charlotte Rampling. This unique film, ripe with sadomasochism and sexual tension, challenges our ideas about human nature, crime, evil, lust, physical and psychological pain, captivity and falling in love.
This film contains scenes of sexuality/violence that might disturb some viewers.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.