|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Emir Baigazin
- KAZAKHSTAN, POLAND, NORWAY / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 108’ / Kazakh, Russian; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Emir Baigazin
- Director of Photography: Emir Baigazin
- Editing: Emir Baigazin
- Music: Justyna Banaszczyk
- Cast: Zhalgas Klanov, Eric Tazabekov, Zhasulan Userbayev, Ruslan Userbayev, Bagdaulet Sagindikov, Sultanali Zhaksybek, Kuandyk Kystykbayev, Aida Iliyaskyzy
- Producer: Emir Baigazin, Klaudia Smieja, Hilde Berg, Ludmila Cvikova
- Production Co.: Emir Baigazin Production, Madants, Norsk Filmproduksjon, Ludmila Cvikova C&P
- World Sales: Films Boutique
- 2018 LISBON & ESTORIL -- Best Film
- 2018 VENICE -- Best Director-Orrizonti
Aslan is the oldest of five brothers who live in an isolated farm in the middle of Kazak plains. As they live devoid of any luxuries and comfort, their city-dweller cousin Kanat shows up one day with a wireless tablet in hand and opens a window for the brothers into a modern world they are unfamiliar with. Aslan’s authority over his brothers is challenged, and he finds himself in a power struggle. In his new film The River, the final instalment of his Aslan trilogy following Harmony Lessons and The Wounded Angel, Emir Baigazin creates a tragic and touching coming-of-age and modernity story with nods to The Lord of the Flies filming upon majestic steppes backdrops.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.