|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
THE THIRD WIFE
NGUOI VO BA
- Director: Ash Mayfair
- VIETNAM / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 94’ / Vietnamese; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Ash Mayfair
- Director of Photography: Chananun Chotrungroj
- Editing: Julie Béziau
- Music: Ton That An
- Cast: Le Vu Long, Tran Nu Yen Khe, Mai Thu Huong Maya, Nguyen Phuong Tra My, Nguyen Nhu Quynh
- Producer: Tran Thi Bich Ngoc, Ash Mayfair
- Production Co.: An Nam Productions, Three Colors Productions, Mayfair Pictures
- World Sales: M-appeal
- 2018 TORONTO -- NETPAC Award
- 2018 KOLKATA -- Best Film
- 2018 MILANO -- Special Mention
- 2018 CAIRO -- Best Artistic Contribution
- 2018 CHICAGO -- Best Film-New Directors
Arriving to her new life by ceremonial canoe is May, the 14-year-old third wife of a wealthy landowner in 19th century rural Vietnam. She quickly needs to adapt to her new home: relationship with the other wives, playing with the children, and of course competition and family politics... with glances over dialogue and a beautiful impressionistic palette, The Third Wife chronicles the days of May from childhood to motherhood in a time and place in which women are expected to suppress their desires while performing duties for men.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.