|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Roman Bondarchuk
- UKRAINE, GERMANY / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 106’ / Ukrainian, English; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Alla Tyutyunnik, Roman Bondarchuk, Dar'ya Averchenko
- Director of Photography: Vadim Ilkov
- Editing: Mykola Bazarkin, Heike Parplies
- Music: Anton Baibakov
- Cast: Serhiy Stepansky, Viktor Zhdanov, Khrystyna Deilyk
- Producer: Olena Yershova
- Production Co.: Tato Film
- World Sales: Pluto Film
- 2018 YEREVAN -- Best Feature
- 2018 ALMATY -- Best Director
- 2018 SPLIT -- Grand Prix
- 2018 RABAT -- Grand Prix
- 2018 PINGYAO (CHINA) -- Best Film
Ukrainian documentarist Roman Bondarchuk’s debut fiction feature stretches the limits of reality towards fantasy. Volcano is set in Kherson, a remote village in the steppes by the Crimean border where people laugh because they have nothing else to do. A series of odd coincidences has left Lukas, an interpreter for OSCE, stranded. With nowhere to turn, this city boy finds shelter at the home of a colourful local named Vova. In time, Vova gets used to Vova this village’s universe beyond his imagination, falls in love with Vova’s daughter Marushka, and even his contempt for provincial life slowly melts away.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.