|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Valentyn Vasyanovych
- UKRAINE / 2019 / DCP / Colour / 108’ / Ukrainian; Turkish s.t.
- Screenplay: Valentyn Vasyanovych
- Director of Photography: Valentyn Vasyanovych
- Editing: Valentyn Vasyanovych
- Cast: Andriy Rymaruk, Liudmyla Bileka, Vasyl Antoniak
- Producer: Valentyn Vasyanovych, Iya Myslytska, Vladimir Yatsenko
- Production Co.: Garmata Film Studios, Limelite
- World Sales: Best Friend Forever
- 2020 Istanbul Golden Tulip Best Film, FIPRESCI Prize
- 2020 Festival du nouveau cinéma (Montréal) Best Feature Film
- 2020 Tromsö Aurora Award
- 2019 Venice Best Film–Orrizzonti
- 2019 Tokyo Special Jury Prize
- 2019 Minsk Grand Prix
- 2019 Odessa Special Jury Mention
East European cinema’s rising star Valentyn Vasyanovych’s latest opus is set in the near future, in war-torn Ukraine. The story addresses the region inhabitants’ spirits by the year 2025, in the aftermath of the Russian-Ukrainian war. Atlantis tells the story of how the relationship between private Sergei, suffering post-war trauma and Katia, a volunteer, transforms them and those around them. Introducing individuals looking for hope in a dismal land, director Vasyanovych masterfully develops his characters, employing a plain visual language and stunning compositions constructed with stationary cameras. Atlantis is a testimony to its director’s full control and mastery in each frame. Atlantis was declared Ukraine's Oscar nominee.
*Some scenes depicting sexuality/violence in this film might disturb certain viewers.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.