|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Visar Morina
- GERMANY, BELGIUM, KOSOVO / 2020 / DCP / Colour / 121’ / German, Albanian; Turkish s.t.
- Screenplay: Visar Morina
- Director of Photography: Matteo Cocco
- Editing: Laura Lauzemis, Hansjörg Weißbrich, Visar Morina
- Original Music: Benedikt Schiefer
- Cast: Misel Maticević, Sandra Hüller, Rainer Bock, Thomas Mraz
- Producer: Janine Jackowski, Jonas Dornbach, Maren Ade
- Production Co.: Komplizen Film, Frakas Productions, Ikonë Studio
- World Sales: The Match Factory
- Turkish Rights: Filmartı
- 2020 Sarajevo Best Film, Cineuropa Award
- 2020 Taipei Film Critics Association Prize
When Kosovo-born Xhafer, who works as a chemical engineer for a prestigious company in Germany notices that the reason behind a few spiteful incidents is his ethnicity, the thought starts to overwhelm him. The mobbing and constant humiliation he faces at work eventually lead him to lose control over his life and suffer an identity crisis. Exile is the second feature film by Germany-based Kosovo-born director Visar Morina, whose Babai was screened at Filmekimi. Premiering at Sundance this year, Exile is a masterful black comedy about rootlessness, bearing the echoes of xenophobia and racism pervading Germany nowadays, eventually contaminating the viewer with a restlessness, a sort of paranoid feeling on slow burn.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.