|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
Human Rights in Cinema Competition
SIN SEÑAS PARTICULARES
- Director: Fernanda Valadez
- Mexico, Spain / 2020 / H264 / Colour / 100’ / Spanish; Turkish s.t.
- Screenplay: Fernanda Valadez, Astrid Rondero
- Director of Photography: Claudia Becerril
- Editing: Fernanda Valadez, Astrid Rondero, Susan Korda
- Original Music: Clarice Jensen
- Cast: Mercedes Hernández, David Illescas, Juan Jesús Varela, Ana Laura Rodríguez, Laura Elena Ibarra, Xicoténcatl Ulloa
- Producer: Astrid Rondero, Fernanda Valadez, Jack Zagha, Yossy Zagha
- Production Co.: Corpulenta Producciones, Avanti Pictures
- World Sales: Alpha Violet
2020 Thessaloniki Best Feature
2020 Sundance Best Screenplay, Audience Award–World Cinema Dramatic
2020 San Sebastian Best Film–Horizontes Latinos
2020 Zurich Best International Feature
2020 Molodist Grand Prix
Inspired from a news article, Mexican director Fernanda Valadez came back from Sundance, where her first feature film had its world premiere, with two big awards. Set in Guanajuato, Mexico, Identifying Features tells the story of a poignant, heart-wrenching voyage: Magdalena hits the road in search of her son, who has disappeared after he left the house in order to cross the USA border to find work. A young man, trying to find his way back home after being deported from the USA, joins her throughout her journey. The hopeful duo crosses desolate towns and endless deserts pursuing hope. Mercedes Hernández’s performance as Magdalena, a mother torn between pain and hope, and stunning photography are among Identifying Features’s most remarkable achievements.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.