|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Matteo Garrone
- ITALY / 2019 / DCP / Colour / 125’ / Italian; Turkish s.t.
- Screenplay: Vincenzo Cerami, Carlo Collodi, Brendan Donnison
- Original Work: Carlo Collodi
- Director of Photography: Dante Spinotti
- Editing: Marco Spoletini
- Original Music: Nicola Piovani
- Cast: Carlo Giuffre, Roberto Benigni, Kim Rossi Stuart, Nicoletta Braschi, Peppe Barra
- Producer: Gianluigi Braschi, Elda Ferri, Nicoletta Braschi
- Production Co.: Melampo Cinematografica, Cecchi Gori Group
- World Sales: HanWay Films
- Turkish Rights: Fabula Films
We discovered Matteo Garrone, the distinctive figure of contemporary Italian cinema, with Gomorra (2008) and Dogman (2018), both awarded in Cannes. The master director’s latest film adds a layer of darkness to the classic story of Geppetto and his puppet. The film, starring another Italian star, Roberto Benigni, with an extraordinary performance as Geppetto, carries us all the way to the origins of Pinocchio’s tale. After having engaged in a meta-narration about fables, Garrone again plunges his camera in the depths of his own universe, weaved as it is with tales and legends. For those willing to follow the unexpectedly intricate tale of a puppet whose nose grows when it tells lies...
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.