|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Mahnaz Mohammadi
- IRAN, CZECH REPUBLIC / 2019 / DCP / Colour / 102’ / Persian; Turkish s.t.
- Screenplay: Mohammad Rasoulof
- Director of Photography: Ashkan Ashkani
- Editing: Mohammad Reza Muini
- Original Music: Amir Molookpour
- Cast: Raha Khodayari, Mahan Nasiri, Reza Behboodi, Shiva Ordooie, Maryam Boubani
- Producer: Farzad Pak, Kaveh Farnam, Mohammad Rasoulof
- Production Co.: Europe Media Nest s.r.o., FilminIran
- World Sales: Beta Film
- 2020 Istanbul Audience Award
- 2019 Roma Alice Nella Citta Special Jury Award
Son-Mother’s plot unfolds down a path that has emerged mainly after Asghar Farhadi’s oeuvre: we are acquainted with characters submitted to the yoke of traditions, cornered, almost like tragic heroes, and left with impossible choices. The film’s central issue is how man-made invisible coercion mechanisms take hold of ordinary people’s lives. Struggling to raise her child by herself in Iran, Leyla is on the verge of losing her job at the factory in the same breath. She is considering getting remarried in order to shake off prejudices, but this prospect leaves her facing a dilemma regarding her son’s future. The script bears the signature of Mohammad Rasoulof, who won the Golden Bear at Berlin in February.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.