|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Nelson Carlo de los Santos Arias
- DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, ARGENTINA, GERMANY, QATAR / 2017 / DCP / Colour / 106´ / Spanish ; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Nelson Carlo de los Santos Arias
- Director of Photography: Roman Kasseroller
- Editing: Nelson Carlo de los Santos Arias
- Cast: Vicente Santos, Judith Rodríguez, Yuberbi de la Rosa, Pedro Sierra, Isabel Spencer, José Miguel Fernandez
- Producer: Fernando Santos Díaz, Lukas V. Rinner, Christoph Friedel
- Production Co.: Guasabara Cine, Nabis Filmgroup, Pandora Film Produktion
- World Sales: Luxbox
-2018 ISTANBUL Special Jury Prize
- 2017 LOCARNO Signs of Life–Best Film
- 2017 LISBON & ESTORIL Special Jury Award
- 2017 MAR DEL PLATA Best Latin American Film
Alberto, a gardener who works for a rich household in Santa Domingo, returns to his hometown to grieve his father who brutally got murdered. However, tradition and customs surrounding the funeral are abhorrent to Alberto’s religious beliefs. On top of that, his family wants him to avenge the death of his father who is killed by a powerful man. Director Nelson Carlo de Los Santos Arias treats Dominican Republic’s traditions, class conflict, tendency to violence, and moral corruption through the story of a man who is at odds with commonly-held values in Cocote and is praised for being a new and strong voice in Latin American cinema. Notable for its sumptuous visual language, Cocote was shot on 35mm with amateur actors.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.