|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Ryan Prows
- USA / 2017 / DCP / Colour / 96´ / English, Spanish; Turkish s.t.
- Screenplay: Tim Cairo, Jake Gibson, Shaye Ogbonna, Ryan Prows, Maxwell Michael Towson
- Director of Photography: Benjamin Kitchens
- Editing: Brett W. Bachman, Jarod Shannon
- Music: Kreng
- Cast: Nicki Micheaux, Ricardo Adam Zarate, Jon Oswald, Shaye Ogbonna, Santana Dempsey, Mark Burnham
- Producer: Narineh Hacopian, Derek Bishé, Tim Cairo
- Production Co.: Tomm Fondle, The Salt Company, Intitialize Films
- World Sales: AMP International
- 2017 FANTASIA Special Jury Prize
Described as an homage to Tarantino, Lowlife was a favorite last year on the genre film festival circuit. This detective story where none of the characters are conventionally good takes place between a mafia don who forces Mexican immigrant women to prostitution and deals in organ trade, corrupt police officers who have no qualms about working with him, never-do-well small time criminals, and drug addicts. There is also “El Monstruo”: a so-called superhero who is burdened by the legacy passed down on him by his omnipotent heroic father, and instead relegates to taking care of the mobster’s dirty business. What brings these unusual characters together is a kidnapping attempt that continuously goes off the rails. Lowlife surprises the viewer with excessive violence and plot twists.
This film contain scenes depicting sexual situations and/or violence that might not be suitable for minors.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.