|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Marcelo Martinessi
- PARAGUAY, GERMANY, BRAZIL, URUGUAY, NORWAY, FRANCE / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 95´ / Spanish; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Marcelo Martinessi
- Director of Photography: Luis Aretaga
- Editing: Fernando Epstein
- Cast: Ana Brun, Margarita Irún, Ana Ivanova, Nilda Gonzalez, María Martins, Alicia Guerra, Yverá Zayas
- Producer: Sebastian Pena Escobar, Christoph Friedel, Fernando Epstein, Agustina Chiario, Julia Murat, Hilde Berg, Marina Perales, Xavier Rocher
- Production Co.: La Babosa Cine, Pandora Film Produktion, Esquina Producoes Artisticas, Mutante Cine, Norsk Filmproduksjon, La Fábrica Nocturna
- World Sales: Luxbox
- Turkish Rights: Siyah Beyaz
- 2018 BERLİN Best Actress (A. Brun), Alfred Bauer Prize, FIPRESCI Prize
In his first feature length, which premiered at Berlinale receiving multiple awards, Paraguayan director Marcelo Martinessi tells the story of two women in a relationship for 30 years who have fallen on financial hard times and how dire circumstances wear down their union. After selling off their inherited possessions, Chela and Chiquita become desperate–Chiquita is imprisoned on fraud charges and Chela is forced to become a cab driver. When they think they are on the brink of hopelessness, Chela falls in a new love. The Heiressses is a unique take on class differences and women’s liberation, and a meritable work from Paraguayan cinema.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.