|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
ALPHA, THE RIGHT TO KILL
- Director: Brillante Ma Mendoza
- PHILIPPINES / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 94’ / Filipino, English; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Troy Espiritu
- Director of Photography: Joshua A. Reyles
- Editing: Diego Marx Dobles
- Music: Diwa de Leon
- Cast: Allen Dizon, Elijah Filamor, Baron Geisler
- Producer: Carlo Valenzona
- Production Co.: Center Stage Productions
- World Sales: Memento Films
- 2018 SAN SEBASTIAN -- Special Jury Prize, SIGNIS Special Mention
Set against the backdrop of the Filipino Government’s crackdown on illegal drugs, a SWAT-led police force launches an operation to arrest Abel, one of the biggest druglords in Manila. Police Officer Espino and Elijah, a small-time pusher turned informant, provide the intelligence for the operation, which quickly escalates into a violent and heavily-armed confrontation in the slums between the SWAT and Abel’s gang. Before the investigators arrive at the crime scene, Espino and Elijah walk off with Abel’s backpack full of money and drugs. This gesture of survival for one and corruption for the other will soon set off a dangerous series of events.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.