|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Stanley Kubrick
- USA, UK / 1975 / DCP / Colour / 184’ / English; Turkish s.t.
- Screenplay: Stanley Kubrick
- Original Work: “The Luck of Barry Lyndon”, William Makepeace Thackeray
- Director of Photography: John Alcott
- Editing: Tony Lawson
- Music: Leonard Rosenman
- Cast: Ryan O'Neal, Marisa Berenson, Patrick Magee, Hardy Krüger, Steven Berkoff, Gay Hamilton
- Producer: Stanley Kubrick
- Production Co.: Peregrine, Hawk Films, Warner Bros.
- World Sales: Park Circus
- 1976 OSCAR -- Best Cinematography, Best Art Direction, Best Costume, Best Music
- 1976 BAFTA -- Best Direction, Best Cinematography
When Kubrick’s Napoleon project didn’t materialize, he decided to adapt William Makepeace Thackeray’s 1844 novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon. The titular character’s story of climbing the social ladder which starts in the Irish countryside to the husband of a widowed countess is completely transformed by the detached, cold, and unhurried style of Kubrick which starkly contrasts the humorous nature of the novel. Precisely for this reason, the film was received distantly upon its initial release, but today Barry Lyndon is considered as one of his greatest achievements with its candlelit sequences reminiscent of gorgeous paintings.
Images courtesy of Park Circus/Warner Bros.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.