|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
FULL METAL JACKET
- Director: Stanley Kubrick
- USA, UK / 1987 / DCP / Colour / 116’ / English, Vietnamese; Turkish s.t.
- Screenplay: Stanley Kubrick, Michael Herr
- Original Work: “The Short-Timers”, Gustav Hasford
- Director of Photography: Douglas Milsome
- Editing: Martin Hunter
- Music: Vivian Kubrick, Abigail Mead
- Cast: Matthew Modine, R. Lee Ermey, Vincent D'Onofrio, Adam Baldwin, Dorian Harewood, Arliss Howard
- Producer: Stanley Kubrick
- Production Co.: Harrier Films
- World Sales: Park Circus
- 1987 NATIONAL BOARD OF REVIEW (USA -- Top Ten Films)
This war film adapted from Gustav Hasford’s novel tells the story of enlisted young men who are put through a brutal boot camp that first crushes their individuality and later their personality, subsequently deployment to Vietnam. In line with top-notch performances common to almost every Kubrick film, Vincent D’Onofrio and R. Lee Ermey shine brightly as they play their characters which are now considered as classics in the genre. Most anti-war films focus on the act of killing, but Kubrick’s final war film differs from the norm by concentrating on the inhumane nature of being turned into a killing machine and is a numbing experience.
Images courtesy of Park Circus/Warner Bros.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.