|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Li Cheng
- GUATEMALA / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 85’ / Spanish; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Li Cheng, George F Roberson
- Director of Photography: Paolo Giron
- Editing: Lenz Claure
- Music: Yao Chen
- Cast: Enrique Salanic, Manolo Herrera, Ana Cecilia Mota
- Producer: George F. Roberson, Li Cheng
- Production Co.: YQstudio
- World Sales: Rediance Films
- 2018 VENICE -- Queer Lion
- 2018 NANTES -- En İyi Film Best Film
- 2018 BRATISLAVA -- Mansiyon Special Mention
Chinese-American director Li Cheng, who worked with amateur actors in his film, depicts the difficulty and preciousness of finding love in Guatemala, a country that has one of the highest youth populations and crime rates in the world, through two young men living at the margins of society. 19 year-old José lives hand to mouth with his mother. He gets engaged in clandestine, casual hook-ups via dating apps. One day, he meets a construction worker named Luis and something strong sparks between them that is more than physical. Inspired by Italian Neo Realism, José premiered at the Venice Days section of the Venice Film Festival as the only film from Central America.
This film contains scenes of sexuality/violence that might disturb some viewers.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.