|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Agnieszka Holland
- POLAND, UKRAINE, UK / 2019 / DCP / Colour / 141’ / English, Russian, Ukrainian, Welsh ; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Andrea Chalupa
- Director of Photography: Tomasz Naumiuk
- Editing: Michal Czarnecki
- Music: Antoni Komasa-Lazarkiewicz
- Cast: James Norton, Vanessa Kirby, Peter Sarsgaard, Joseph Mawle, Fenella Woolgar, Kenneth Cranham, Celyn Jones
- Producer: Klaudia Smieja, Andrea Chalupa, Stanislaw Dziedzic, Angus Lamont, Egor Olesov
- Production Co.: Film Produkcja
- World Sales: WestEnd Films
The Silver Bear-winner Spoor was Agnieszka Holland’s 2017 hit, and she returns to the Berlinale this time with a film that delves into history and examines the life of Welsh journalist Gareth Jones. The film chronicles how in 1933 Jones travels to Kharkov and struggles to report the real situation at the Soviet Union under Stalin’s leadership, in spite of the efforts to prevent the spreading of the news. Jones’s encounter with the young George Orwell is said to have inspired the writing of Animal Farm.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.