|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
MY FAVOURITE FABRIC
MON TISSU PRÉFÉRÉ
- Director: Gaya Jiji
- FRANCE, GERMANY, TURKEY / 2018 / DCP / Colour / 95’ / Arabic; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Gaya Jiji in collab with Eiji Yamazaki işbirliğiyle
- Director of Photography: Antoine Héberlé
- Editing: Jeanne Oberson
- Music: Peer Kleinschmidt
- Cast: Manal Issa, Ula Tabari, Souraya Baghdadi, Mariah Tannoury, Nathalie Issa, Metin Akdülger, Saad Lostan, Wissam Fares
- Producer: Laurent Lavolé
- Production Co.: Gloria Films Production
- World Sales: Urban Distribution International
- Turkish Rights: Bir Film
25-year-old Nahla works at a clothing store and dreams of escaping her suffocating, dull life. When her mother tries to set up an arranged marriage for her, Nahla indifferently dismisses the idea. Meanwhile, the “establishment” that Madame Jiji opens up upstairs becomes a haven to explore her desires for Nahla, whose suppressed sexuality is at the reign of her existence. In her Syrian Civil War-set debut, which premiered at the Un Certain Regard section of the Cannes Film Festival, director Gaya Jiji inspired by Belle de Jour offers a feminist critique to the sexist double standards in a patriarchal society.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.