|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
THE MIRACLE OF THE SARGASSO SEA
TO THÁVMA TIS THÁLASSAS TON SARGASSÓN
- Director: Syllas Tzoumerkas
- GREECE, GERMANY, THE NETHERLANDS, SWEDEN / 2019 / DCP / Colour / 121’ / Greek; Turkish, English s.t.
- Screenplay: Youla Boudali, Syllas Tzoumerkas
- Director of Photography: Petrus Sjövik
- Editing: Andreas Wodraschke
- Music: Jean-Paul Wall, drog_A_tek, Phoebus
- Cast: Angeliki Papoulia, Youla Boudali, Christos Passalis, Argyris Xafis, Thanasis Dovris
- Producer: Maria Drandaki
- Production Co.: Homemade Films
- World Sales: New Europe Film Sales
Premiered at the Berlinale in February at the Panorama section and praised as “a Lynchian psychodrama in the sun”, The Miracle... is a tense film that treads the path between a thriller and a dreamspace occupied by biblical imagery. The film is set in a small eel-farming town in the west of Greece, where two women live solitary lives while dreaming of getting away. Elisabeth is the nasty, disillusioned police chief; Rita is the quiet, mysterious sister of a lounge singer. When a sudden death upsets the town, the two women begin drifting towards each other, and secrets begin to surface. Especially lauded for the performance of Angeliki Papoulia as Elisabeth, the third film of Syllas Tzoumerkas is a surprisingly shocking small-town nightmare with a unique visual style.
This film contains scenes of sexuality/violence that might disturb some viewers.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.