|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Stanley Kubrick
- USA, UK / 1980 / DCP / Colour / 144’ / English; Turkish s.t.
- Screenplay: Stanley Kubrick, Diane Johnson
- Original Work: Stephen King
- Director of Photography: John Alcott
- Editing: Ray Lovejoy
- Music: Wendy Carlos, Rachel Elkind
- Cast: Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, Danny Lloyd, Scatman Crothers, Barry Nelson, Philip Stone
- Producer: Stanley Kubrick
- Production Co.: Hawk Films, Peregrine
- World Sales: Park Circus
Disliked by the author of the original novel, Stephen King, this adaptation of the story of a man’s writer’s block turning into a family-sized horror is nonetheless considered to be among the greatest classics of the horror genre. Trying to kick an alcohol habit, Jack Torrence moves into the desolate and highly photogenic Overlook Hotel with his family to spend the winter and write his novel, whereupon a nightmare ensues, ripe with grisly scenes, stemming either from his subconscious that he can’t quite jot down or a truly malevolent building. Kubrick captures a chilling creepiness in the interiors which he made designed to freely use the newly invented Steadicam and gets an unforgettably lunatic lead performance from Jack Nicholson. The Shining will be screened from its extended 144-minute version, not from the 119-minute version as announced in the catalogue.
This film contains scenes of sexuality/violence that might disturb some viewers.
Images courtesy of Park Circus/Warner Bros.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.