|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
- Director: Aneil Karia
- UK / 2020 / DCP / Colour / 99’ / English; Turkish s.t.
- Screenplay: Rita Kalnejais, Rupert Jones
- Director of Photography: Stuart Bentley
- Editing: Amanda James
- Original Music: Tsujiko Noriko
- Cast: Ben Whishaw, Ellie Haddington, Jasmine Jobson, Ian Gelder
- Producer: Julia Godzinskaya, Sophie Vickers
- Production Co.: Rooks Nest Entertainment
- World Sales: Protagonist Pictures
- Turkish Rights: Bir Film
- 2020 Sundance World Cinema Dramatic Special Jury Award for Acting
Bringing the Best Actor Award to its lead Ben Whishaw at Sundance where it premiered, Surge later was screened at the Berlinale’s Panorama section. As its title suggests, Surge is often compared to Safdie Brothers’ Good Time in terms of its dynamic editing and striking colour palette. Aneil Karia’s debut feature follows Joseph, a security at the airport, quirky, repressed, and almost robotic, who eventually breaks down, and experiences a matchless spree that defies all conformist societal codes. Set over two days in London, Surge follows a bold and reckless journey of self-liberation parallel to self-destruction.
*Some scenes depicting sexuality/violence in this film might disturb certain viewers.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.