|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
OPENING FILM: RABİYE KURNAZ VS. GEORGE W. BUSH
RABİYE KURNAZ GEGEN GEORGE W. BUSH
- Director: Andreas Dresen
- GERMANY, FRANCE / 2022 / DCP / Colour / 119’ / German, Turkish, English; s.t.
- Screenplay: Laila Stieler
- Director of Photography: Andreas Höfer
- Editing: Jörg Hauschild
- Music: Johannes Repka, Cenk Erdoğan
- Cast: Meltem Kaptan, Alexander Scheer, Charly Hübner, Nazmi Kırık, Sevda Polat, Abdullah Emre Öztürk, Şafak Şengül, Ali Emre Şahin
- Producer: Claudia Steffen, Christoph Friedel
- Production Co.: Pandora Film Produktion
- World Sales: The Match Factory
- Turkish Rights: MUBI
2022 Nürnberg Best Actress, Public Award 2022 Berlin Best Leading Performance (Meltem Kaptan), Best Screenplay, Guild Film Prize
The real-life story of Rabiye Kurnaz is the portrait of a passionate woman, of resilience and determination. The battle for the release of her son Murat, who, after September 11 is shipped off to Guantanamo without a court rule, catapults housewife Rabiye Kurnaz from her house in Bremen straight into world politics and all the way to the Supreme Court in Washington. At her side is human rights lawyer Bernhard Docke–the reserved, level-headed lawyer and the temperamental Turkish mother with a wicked sense of humour now fighting side-by-side to get Murat out. Cologne-based comedienne, author, presenter, and actress Meltem Kaptan's overwhelming performance as Rabiye was awarded at the Berlinale. Stage, opera, and film director Andreas Dresen's films Nachtgestalten / Night Shapes, Halbe Treppe / Grill Point and Halt auf freier Strecke / Stopped on Track were presented at previous editions of the festival.
This film is screened with the generous support of German Films.
This film is screened in collaboration with Kino 2022.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.