|DATE&TIME||VENUE||ADD TO CALENDAR|
(*) The crew/cast will attend.
(°) This screening will begin later than announced due to the duration of the previous film.
HEADS AND TAILS
- Director: Aylin Kuryel, Fırat Yücel
- TURKEY / 2019 / DCP / Colour / 57’ / Turkish, Hebrew, English; English s.t.
- Director of Photography: Raşel Meseri, Aylin Kuryel, Fırat Yücel
- Editing: Fırat Yücel, Aylin Kuryel
- Music: Fırat Yücel
- With: Coya Daniel, Sima Meseri Badash
- Producer: Aylin Kuryel, Fırat Yücel
- Co-Producer: Özgür Doğan, Enis Köstepen
- World Sales: Aylin Kuryel
- 2019 ISTANBUL Special Mention (National Documentary Competition)
Heads and Tails chronicles the curious hair trade between Turkey and Israel. Two Turkish-Israeli women, Coya and Sima, get the tails of hair from male hair traders from Turkey and sell them to wig makers in Tel Aviv, Ramat Gan, and Bnei Brak. Orthodox Jewish women cover their heads with the wigs made of the hair which once belonged to women from Anatolia. In this journey, the hair is turned into a commodity, a means of living and source of beauty, becomes kosher, yet doesn’t pay much to its owner, the one who carefully grows the hair.
This film was a Meetings on the Bridge participant.