Aiming to offer a support for films in post-production from Turkey, Work in Progress in its seventh year, presented a selection of films in post-production on 12 and 13 April to international distributors, sales agents festival, fund representatives and broadcasters.
5 fiction and 1 documentary films in post-production are selected among the applications for Work in Progress this year. The directors and producers of the selected films presented their films to the international film professionals.
Films selected for Work in Progress:
- Come Rain Or Shine, Director: Zeynep Güzel, Producers: Selin Murat, Zeynep Güzel
- Evimizin Arka Bahçesi, Director: Teymûr Evdikê, Producer: Mehmet Kamîk
- Güvercin Hırsızları, Director: Osman Doğan, Producer: Sinan Sertel, Turgay Şahin – Fanus-u Hayal
- İçerdekiler, Director: Hüseyin Karabey, Producers: Hüsayin Karabey – Asi Film, Caner Cindoruk, Gizem Erman Soysaldı
- Saf, Director: Ali Vatansever, Producer: Selin Vatansever Tezcan – Terminal Film , Co-producers: Harry Flöter, Jörg Siepmann – 2 Pilots Film , Anamaria Antoci – 4 Proof Film
- Son Çıkış, Director: Ramin Matin, Producers: Emine Yıldırım, Oğuz Kaynak – Giyotin Film
Work in Progress presentations, jury screenings and meetings took place on 12-13 April and the award ceremony hosted by l’Institut Français Istanbul took place on Tuesday, 13 April.
The Work in Progress jury members Kerri Craddock ((Toronto International Film Festival), Meinolf Zurhorst (ZDF) and Ioanna Stais (Heretic Outreach) has decided on the award winning films after watching the films at the private screenings and the meetings held with the filmmakers.
Color Up Award that covers the expenses of online editing and colour grading and Daire Creative Key Art Design Award is presented to the director Ali Vatansever and producer Selin Tezcan Vatansever of the film Saf Arda Aktaş and Eren Erdem, the co-founders of Daire Creative.
The Başka Sinema Award was presented to director Osman Doğan and producers Sinan Sertel and Turgay Şahin of the film Güvercin Hırsızları / The Pigeon Thieves by Azize Tan, the director of Başka Sinema.
Paz Digital Communication Award was presented to the director Ramin Matin and the producer Emine Yıldırım of the film Son Çıkış / Siren’s Call by the founder of Paz Film Agency İmre Tezel.
Meetings on the Bridge has launched Neighbours Platform in 2015 in order to initiate new collaborations and enhance communication between filmmakers from Turkey and its neighbouring countries. Selected through methods of scouting and interviewing from the neighbouring countries, the filmmakers had a pitching training, followed by one-to-one meetings with international film professionals.
Neighbours Platform took place on 12-13 April this year.
5 feature film projects have been selected from neighbouring countries such as Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, and Syria to Meetings on the Bridge Neighbours Platform’s 2018 edition.
Projects selected for Neighbours Platform:
- Azerbaijan / Clouds On Leashes, Director: Gunel Eva, Producer: Maria Ibrahimova – Cinex Productions
- Georgia / The Empty House, Director: Rati Tsiteladze, Producers: Rati Tsiteladze, Nino Varsimashvili – Artway Film
- Iran / Siyah Sefid, Director: Sohail Afiat, Producers: Arto Sebastian, Karoline Henkel – Wood Water Films, Co-producer: Zeynep Köprülü – Periferi Film
- Iran / Pas Farda, Director: Hamed Rajabi, Producer: Etienne de Ricaud - Caractères Productions
- Syria / Le Retour, Director: Meyar Al Roumi, Producer: Xavier Rocher - La Fabrica Nocturna Productions
Directors and producers of the selected films attended meetings with international film professionals from Europe and the rest of the world, exchanged ideas on their projects and took the first steps for future collaborations.
Film Development Workshop and Neighbours Platform jury members Vincenzo Bugno (Berlinale / World Cinema Fund), Rickard Olsson (Picture Tree International), Zsuzsanna Kiraly (Komplizen Film), Teresa Hoefert de Turegano (Medienboard Berlin Brandenburg) and Giovanni Robbiano (MFI) decided on the award winning teams after the project presentations.
Awards were presented at the closing ceremony taking place on 13 April at l’Institut Français Istanbul.
Postbıyık Sound Post-production Award which was presented for the first time this year at Meetings on the Bridge was received by the director Rati Tsiteladze and producer Nino Varsimashvili of project The Empty House.
Meetings on the Bridge (MoB) is the international co-production and networking platform organized within the scope of the İstanbul International Film Festival. The 13th edition of MoB took place on 11-14 April.
This year 11 fiction and one documentary feature film projects have been selected among 98 submissions to Film Development Workshop.
Among the participants of this year’s selection are; Fikret Reyhan, the winner of Golden Tulip Best Film Award at 36th Istanbul Film Festival with his debut film Yellow Heat; Burak Çevik, whose debut film The Pillar of Salt will be premiering at Berlinale Forum this year; Gürcan Keltek, the director Meteors the documentary which premiered in Locarno Film Festival; Senem Tüzen whose first film Motherland premiered in 72th Venice Film Festival and Ercan Kesal, an established writer, scriptwriter, and actor.
Projects selected for Film Development Workshop:
- A Day or Part of a Day (dir. Burak Çevik, prod. Selman Nacar - Fol Film)
- A Journey (dir. Fikret Reyhan, prod. Nizamettin Reyhan)
- Direct Sale (dir. Abdurrahman Öner, prod. Arzu Şenses Öner - Buhar Film Production)
- Far From Himself (dir. Yunus Ozan Korkut, prod. Okan Üzey, Suzan Güverte - Kalavara Film)
- Glasgow (dir. Sinan Kesova, prod. Yoel Meranda - Kamara Film)
- Hopefully Candidate (dir. Ercan Kesal, prod. Kerem Çatay- Ay Yapım, Ercan Kesal - Poyraz Film)
- My Brother's Army (dir. Senem Tüzen, prod. Adam Isenberg - Zela Film)
- Everything In It’s Right Place (dir. Berrak Çolak, prod. Engin Palabıyık - Harikulade Film)
- New Dawn Fades (dir. Gürcan Keltek, prod. Arda Çiltepe, Marc Van Goethem - 29P FILMS)
- Normal (dir. Ali Kemal Çınar, prod. Sinan Yusufoğlu)
- Penny Bank (dir. Ferit Karol, prod. Nefes Polat)
- The List of Those Who Love Me (dir. Emre Erdoğdu, prod. Emine İzmir, Zeynep Koray; co-prod. Hazar Ergüçlü - Rementad)
The selected filmmakers made the first presentations of their new film projects at Film Development Workshop on April 12th and 13th. Directors and producers of the selected films attended more than 205 meetings with 95 international cinema professionals from Europe and the rest of the world and took the first steps for future collaborations.
Film Development Workshop jury members Vincenzo Bugno (Berlinale / World Cinema Fund), Rickard Olsson (Picture Tree International), Zsuzsanna Kiraly (Komplizen Film), Teresa Hoefert de Turegano (Medienboard Berlin Brandenburg) and Giovanni Robbiano (MFI) decided on the award winning teams after the project presentations.
The projects and films that received the Meetings on the Bridge awards were announced at a reception hosted by l’Institut Français Istanbul on Tuesday, 13 April.
The director Ali Kemal Çınar, the producer Sinan Yusufoğlu and the co-producer Nesra Gürbüz of the project Normal received the 30.000 TL Meetings on the Bridge Award from Gülin Üstün.
The Film Development Workshop and the Neighbours Platform projects were all eligible for the 8000 Euro CNC Award. The award was presented to Gürcan Keltek the director and Arda Çiltepe, the producer of the project Yeni Şafak Solarken / New Dawn Fades by Christophe Pécot, Regional Audiovisual Attaché for the French Embassy in Turkey.
Melodika Sound Award was presented to Emre Erdoğdu, the director and Zeynep Koray and Emine İzmir, the producers of the project Beni Sevenler Listesi / The List of Those Who Love Me by Didem Oğuz, Taylan Oğuz, the co-founders of Melodika.
The producer Selman Nacar and the director Burak Çevik of the project Bir Gün ya da Günün Bir Parçası / A Day Or Part Of A Day received the GeniusPark Special Effects Award from Sema Duran, the VFX Executive Producer in GeniusPark.
The Mediterranean Film Institute (MFI) Script and Development Workshop Award was presented to the producer Adam Isenberg for their project My Brother’s Army.
The Transilvania Pitch Stop Award was given to Engin Palabıyık the producer and Berrak Çolak, the director of the project Paşa Gönlüm İstedi Kayboldum Everything In Its Right Place.
The content of this publication, supported by the Istanbul Development Agency and prepared within the scope of Innovative Workshops and Improving the Creativity and Commercial Success Capacities of National Film Industry Actors Project, does not reflect the views of Istanbul Development Agency or Development Ministry and Istanbul Foundation for Culture and Arts is the only party responsible for the content.